Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Night Birds

I was up very early this morning (around 4 a.m.) and met this little fellow out for a stroll along St. Ann Street on Jackson Square. He's a Yellow-crowned Night Heron, naturally. Here's what my Book of North American Birds has to say about his kind:
The bird's cloak is the color of pewter in moonlight, and his legs look amber-glazed. Surprised at close quarters, the bird will often freeze rather than fly, studying the intruder with sleepy, half-opened eyes. In turn, the lucky intruder wins a rare opportunity to study a bird of uncommon beauty.
Just so.

6 comments:

  1. he looks like he'd like someone to treat him to Cafe du Monde. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now why didn't I think of that opportunity to be kind to a fine-feathered friend? That's where I was headed too. There's something almost saintly about you, Termite, in a funny and playful way (like Francis). Thanks for stopping by. A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! He's beautiful. I've never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bird but I'm impressed with your 4 a.m. wake up time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Mimi,
    I never saw one either. But I suspect they're all around us, just hiding until the sun goes down.
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Charlotte,
    It's amazing what's out there at 4 a.m. in the Quarter! But don't want to make a habit of getting up that early (and God knows I never stay out that late any more either)
    A.

    ReplyDelete