Saturday, October 2, 2010

Perfect Day Mid-City

We're driving down South Broad on our way to City Park to play touch football with Harrison and Jake, the LeBlanc brothers. Simon says: "Stop the car, Dad." Homage is paid to superior beings, the Bunny Men of the old Falstaff brewery.
First stop, lunch at the original Bud's Broiler on City Park Avenue. Public service announcement: It's now open 24/7. Remember where you heard this.
Arthur Smith grave Holt Cemetery
I say to the kids: "Hey, let's visit Arthur Smith's grave, it's right across the street." We find this desolate scene at Holt Cemetery. What's happened to Arthur? Is he finally dead? Sick? Has he just lost interest? Does anyone know?

Python girl
In City Park, we meet Ashley Brown and her pastel ball python, Colonel Mustard. Beautiful girl, beautiful critter.
Let the games commence, at last! Final score: Blogger and son, 21, LeBlanc brothers, 14.  Like I said, a perfect day.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day. What's up with the purple paint cans in the cemetery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,
    Long back story here on the gravesite. Arthur Smith had squatter's rights on this little plot in the city's Potter's Field. He decorated it in amazing outsider-art fashion. All that was gone when we visited yesterday, which set me to worrying about Arthur -- my doppelganger -- who was, last I heard, still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live in a colorful city. I fell out of love with New Orleans some time ago but the way you write about it reminds me of the pockets of magic still lurking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last visit to Holt was in March 2009 and all his stuff was there then although I didn't take a pic. (http://www.travelingmermaid.com/2009/05/holt-cemetery-neglect-of-deceased-poor.html)

    This was a fun read - great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thx, Red, it's amazing how much fun you can have here basically doing nothing. Hope Texas is to your liking. I'm a big fan of Houston, BTW.

    To Charlotte, thanks for the news. That's reassuring, but still wondering what happened to Arthur. Don't think he's among our many readers. Let me know if you hear something. A.

    ReplyDelete